Share link in Instagram Story? For years, this was only allowed for verified Instagram accounts and Instagram profiles with more than 10,000 subscribers. Now the social network is introducing the Instagram link sticker for all users. Here’s what you should know.
Share link in Instagram Story: Now every user can do it
The wait is over! From now on, every Instagram user can add a link in their Instagram Story. You don’t need a certain number of followers or verification with a blue checkmark to do so.
If you want to share a link in your Instagram Story, all you have to do is open the sticker menu in your Story and select the new “Link” sticker. Once you’ve done that, you can share any link in your Story.
Share link in Instagram Story: Who can use the function?
Basically, according to Instagram, every account is allowed to share links in their own Instagram Stories.
According to the social network, there are only two exceptions. So accounts can not add links to the Instagram Story, which:
- created their account within the last 30 days. Thus, there is a one-month blocking period to prevent abuse.
- Have repeatedly violated Instagram’s community guidelines. For example, those who promote links to Onlyfans or other explicitly banned content via link risk losing the link sticker permanently.
How do I add a link to my Instagram Story?
If you want to share a link through your Story, it works very straightforwardly.
- As a first step, check if your app is up to date and update your app in the App Store if necessary.
- Open Instagram and click the plus icon at the top of the screen.
- Select “Story” at the bottom of the screen and choose your picture or video to share.
- Once you’re satisfied, click on the sticker with the face in the navigation bar at the top of the screen.
- In the overview you will now find the link sticker. Click on it.
- Finally, copy the desired link into the system and finish the process by clicking “Done” in the upper right corner.
Now you have added a link to your story via the link sticker. If you want, you can now share your story.
Instagram link sticker replaces swipe-up feature
For years, Instagram as a platform had focused on creating a place to share photos and videos. For this reason, sharing links far from your profile on Instagram was also very difficult from the beginning.
The swipe-up feature, which allowed you to add a link to your Instagram Story, was reserved for verified accounts and accounts with more than 10,000 followers.
It was already apparent in the summer of 2021 that something would change in the current procedure. Instagram retired the swipe-up function on August 30, 2021. Instead, the link sticker was added to Stories – initially, however, only for accounts that could also use the old function.
During the official test phase of the Instagram Link Sticker, the result was very positive, according to Instagram. Accordingly, a spokesperson shares:
While we’ve been testing the Link Sticker over the past few months, we’ve received clear, positive feedback from the community. Link Stickers make it even easier for companies to draw attention to their products. At the same time, they can also help creators actively promote their heartfelt causes, such as equality, social justice or mental health.